5 Reasons to do Headstand – the King of Asana
Headstand is known as the King of Asana, but what are the benefits of standing on your head? The reasons are many and here are just 5 to encourage you to learn or practise Headstand!
1. Keeps you looking young! The influx of blood to the face reduces wrinkles and keeps your skin looking radiant and your eyes sparkling!
2. Thinking power increases and thoughts become clearer. With increased blood flow throughout the brain, the cells are rejuvenated and a rich blood supply reaches the pituitary and pineal glands, on which our health and vitality depend on.
3. Improves sleep and memory with regular correct practice.
4. Prevents you catching a cold! Lung function is improved and body temperature is warmed up.
5. Reduces and prevents varicose veins. Headstand gives a welcome relief to your feet and legs, which usually have to bear all your weight! It also relieves pressure on the heart, upside down your heart doesn’t have to work so hard to get blood to the top of your body!
Written with inspiration from Light on Yoga, by Iyengar. **Practising Headstand is not advisable for those with high blood pressure, glaucoma or head and neck injuries.
Learn and practise Headstand with a teacher to begin with, once you have learnt the key elements and are starting to hold your balance, then begin practising at home. Please join me for an Inversions and Arm Balance workshop on Sunday 17th April, 10am – 1pm, at the Cornwall Yoga Centre in Truro. Here you will get the chance to safely learn and practise Headstand, Sirsasana A (pictured), and for those with more experience learn some of the other headstand variations. We will also be exploring Handstand and some other arm balancing postures – find out more.